Stories from my little corner of the world, the South. Some are from the present, some from the past...but all are from my heart.

They reflect my thoughts and views, my musing about the world, and each carries with it a bit of my heart
and soul.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Finding the God Within

Finding the God Within


I'm on a quest to find the God within...
The one who looks without anger,
The one who hears without judgment,
The one who loves without question,
The one who gives without expectations.

I looking for the God within my soul
The God whose still, small voice is muted
by the commotion and insanity of the world without.
Until we stop, take a deep breath, and listen,
shutting out the grating, jarring, raucous noise
of everyday life that tears at us...
we can't hear that voice, but it's there.
And each day, I find myself a bit closer.

I know that God is there inside of me
And I know I can find him/her/it...
If if open my heart,
letting it unfold like the petals of the rose
as it accepts the warmth of the sunshine
and if I quieten my mind
from the constant internal chatter of Ego.

I realize now~
finding the God within doesn't mean surrender.
It means acceptance, forgiveness, and love.
The dogma and rules of religion are unacceptable
They have never given me solace,
for the belief in a wrathful God who loves some,
but not others is unbearable
and I refuse to accept that story.

Finding the God within
is an individual journey
one we all will go alone.
It's a quest of the highest order
without the benefit of signs or a road map,
except for the one in our hearts.

Rose S. Williams
©2010~Southernstoryteller

*This particular poem started forming when joined Facebook back in 2010 and it asked about religion for the Profile page. I was reading Gary Zuckav's The Seat of the Soul and I realized I had no "established" religious ties...so this phrase came to mind.  I have no problems with other people's religions...they just don't work for me...but I do believe we all have God inside of us...and we can find it if we look hard enough and listen long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment