Stories from my little corner of the world, the South. Some are from the present, some from the past...but all are from my heart.

They reflect my thoughts and views, my musing about the world, and each carries with it a bit of my heart
and soul.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Little Reminders


I took a few of your toys,
left behind like lonesome puppies,
to make some small memories
in my garden.



















These flowers I love to grow
the ones I love to work in,
planting, weeding,
they bring me some solace.
That last pair of gardening gloves
that you bought me
are worn beyond use now.

I remember your little boy face,
smiling broadly,
as you handed them to me,
a gift you knew
would make me happy.
You were always such a thoughtful child.


So I keep these toys of yours
here in my flower garden
where I thrust my hands in the earth
groping for comfort,
digging for peace of mind...
here in my little patch of heaven.
I put these reminders of you
as a means to help me heal.

They seem at home there
and seeing them makes me smile...
Imagine that,
smiling at a little reminder of you
instead of tears...
maybe this old heart is healing
just a bit,
it seems about time.





















So, guard my flower beds
with your trucks and tractors,
help me heal with these blossoms
as the date draws near,
I hope and pray
for some sort of peace...
not just for me,
but for all of us.

Love you and miss you so,
Aunt Rosie

Southernstoryteller©Rose S. Williams~ 2012

**Thank you Meg for the inspiration. I love having Micah's toys so close, they are helping my heart to heal every time I see them.

2 comments:

  1. Rose ... this is so very beautiful and has me in tears ... I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, June 5th will be two years since my sweet nephew died, he would be 17 this year...sometimes it STILL seems like it cannot be possible, but it is. We miss him so much, and the anniversary of his death will be hard.
      But a friend sent me a photo, actually posted it on my Wall at FB of someone who had planted a flower in the bed of a toy truck...and I knew that's what I wanted to do with some of his old toys...have them there in the back yard, in my flower garden.
      He always was fascinated by my fascination with flowers and butterflies and often joked with me, as he got older, about how I would literally get down on my knees at times to get a photograph. It was our little joke, and this is my little way of keeping him close to me, in memory, of course.

      Delete