Stories from my little corner of the world, the South. Some are from the present, some from the past...but all are from my heart.

They reflect my thoughts and views, my musing about the world, and each carries with it a bit of my heart
and soul.

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Modern Mythology

A poem I wrote back in 1998 as I struggled to be what I thought was expected of me: as a wife and mother. Sometimes we set the bar so high for ourselves, we run the risk of wearing ourselves out. I now understand that the roles that help define me (yet do not limit me) are many: wife, mother, daughter, aunt, sister, friend, and writer..to name a few. I also realized, the perfection I was buying into was only an illusion.

Modern Mythology
Like vaudevillians balancing
spinning plates on poles,
we juggle checkbooks and date books,
playgroups and meetings,
mealtimes and free time,
at a frenzied pace.

We strive to be the best
in all our interactions
with those we most cherish:
husbands, lovers, children,
parents and friends,
while often in the process
we shortchange ourselves.

We long to be the perfect woman.
Reading mounds of self-help books,
watching Oprah and chanting her mantra
we search desperately for the path that leads
us away from our frantic, harried lives
and towards the elusive myth of perfection.

Are we genetically ingrained
to give our all to others?
How long and how much will we give?
Will we give until we ache
into the very core
of our bodies, minds and souls?

Do we bleed each month because of Eve’s sin,
or because we give so much of ourselves?
Is it a wound of selflessness?
Is it an affliction that we bear
because of our obsession?

Can we accept the truth-
the reality that there is no perfect woman?

Be she wife, lover, mother, daughter or friend,
she does not exist in perfection,
except in those dated fables of long ago.
June Cleaver and Harriet Nelson
were paragons of excellence.
They set standards we can never attain
for they are the goddesses of twentieth century mythology.

Just remember,
they are not real,
only dubious myths
concocted in Hollywood
by a roomful of cigar-smoking men.

Rose S. Williams
©Southernstoryteller
1998

This poem was published in Della Donna, a webzine for womenApril 2008. 

No comments:

Post a Comment