Stories from my little corner of the world, the South. Some are from the present, some from the past...but all are from my heart.

They reflect my thoughts and views, my musing about the world, and each carries with it a bit of my heart
and soul.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Ode to Earth

 Earth Day is around the corner (April 22nd) so I thought I'd get a jump on things and post this oldie but goody I wrote back in 2005 :) Love you Mother Earth!

Ode to Earth
http://media-files.gather.com/images/d961/d884/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg
O fragile sphere—
you seem suspended
in an infinite universe
by some tenuous, invisible thread.
Complacently, we go about
our mundane lives
obtuse to the marvel
of your existence.

Massive mountain ranges
and bottomless ocean abysses
attest to your volatile
and apocalyptic past.
A red-hot core and molten mantle,
covered only
by a thin rocky crust
perches us precariously
above the fiery furnaces of hell.

Atmospheric conditions
while conducive to life
are fragile in nature,
burdened
by a burgeoning population.

Yet you remain a resplendent
cosmic marble of blue and green,
wreathed
with clouds of white,
pirouetting gracefully
as you speed along your orbit.

An oasis of life
in, an otherwise,
dark and barren space
you are a testament
to the miracle that is evolution.

Glorious celestial orb!
I stand humbled
and in awe of your beauty.

Rose Steedley Williams
©Southernstoryteller~2005
*Earth photo from Photobucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment